Friday, July 27, 2012

The Stepping Stones




I like the hopeful tone of this short story a lot and I hope you do too.

It captures what life is about and I really believe that step by step, little by little, we can help each other through the ups and downs of life.  Then you can turn around and help another person:

The Stepping Stones
By Barbara Williams

Come, take my hand.  The road is long.  And we must travel by stepping stones.  No, you're not alone: I'll go with you.  I know the road well, I"ve been there.

Don't fear the darkness, I'll be with you.  We must take one step at a time, but remember, we have to stop for awhile.  It's a long way to the other side and there are many obstacles.  We have many stones to cross, and some are bigger than others.

Shock, denial and anger to start, then comes guilt, despair and loneliness.  It's a hard road to travel, but it must be done.  It's the only way to reach the other side.

Come, slip your hand in mine.  What?  Oh, yes.  It is strong.  I've held many hands like yours.

Mine was once small and weak, like yours because you see, once I had to hold someone else's hand in order to take the first step.

Oops you stumbled!  Go ahead and cry.  Don't be ashamed, I understand.  Let's wait here awhile and get your breath.  When you're stronger, we'll go on. . .One step at a time. . . There's no need to hurry.  Say, it's nice to hear you laugh.

Yes, I agree the memories you shared are good.  Look, we're halfway there now; I can see the other side.  It looks so warm and sunny.

Have you noticed?  We're nearing the last stone, and you're standing alone!  And look at your hand. . . You've let go of mine.  We've reached the other side, look back.  Someone is standing there.

He is alone and wants to cross the stepping stones.  I'd better go, he needs my help.  What?  Are you sure?  Why yes, go ahead, I'll wait.  You know the way, You've been there.  Yes, I agree, it's your turn my friend. . . to help someone else cross the stepping stones.



No comments:

Post a Comment