Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Jesus Tweets

There is definitely an art to tweeting.  The ability to say something precise and succinct in 140 characters or less is not an easy thing to master.  I still have a lot to learn about tweeting but I have to say that I do enjoy it!  I don't find tweeting to be shallow or a waste of time.  I think it's a matter of letting extraneous words fall by the wayside and getting right to your point.

Thousand of tweets ago, when my son helped me open my account, I first stared at the computer screen and thought, "What should I say?"  But you can't think about it too much.  You just have to do it.  Some funny, silly and informational tweets just roll off my fingers but others are a bit more of an effort because of what I want to say about something more important such as health, nutrition, grieving or healing.

I think people take to Twitter and find it so appealing because it lends itself to almost any subject.  Anyone can tweet and I think most people do.  Although until yesterday when I read a short Vanity Fair item on tweeting, I never thought about Jesus tweeting. 
 
But the idea of Jesus tweeting just strikes me as hilarious.
 
Picturing Jesus  hanging out in his robes with his Smartphone, intently looking at the screen while his thumbs are flying across the keypad is something that lends itself to a lot of humorous possibilities.  Think about it.  The internet is a global platform!  Would Jesus re-tweet anything that the Apostles or Mary Magdalene might put out there?
 
WWJT?
Who knows?  After all, as Jesus would say, "Goodness comes from within."  OMG, that's only 17 characters!  It's so tight yet there's room for much more to say! 
 
Don't forget about hashtags too!

You know Jesus would be great at that too!  What would he pick as a hashtag to "Goodness comes from within"?   Let's see. . . #Pure? #Christian? No, I think he would go with #MyMotherSaysSo!

Vanity Fair
August 16, 2013

What Would Jesus Tweet? A World-Civ Guide to the Succinct


Twitter doesn’t really need defending. Like any medium of communication—e-mail, blogs, newspapers, books, talking, yelling—it’s as good or bad as the people using it and the ideas being expressed. But that said, I find it irritating that the 140-character limit has become easy shorthand for the alleged shallowness of contemporary culture, a digital analog (haha) to Andy Warhol’s 15 minutes of fame. Or, as PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel recently put it: “We need to think about the future for more than just 140 characters or 15 minutes at a time if we want to make real long-term progress.” In a similar vein, a friend and respected colleague of mine recently declared that seeking wisdom and insight on Twitter is a fool’s errand; that she wrote this on Twitter itself speaks to a growing school of self-loathing Tweeters, at least on my feed.

Contra Thiel, some thinkers might actually be better off sticking to 140 characters—right off the bat, Peggy Noonan, Leon Weiseltier, and Naomi Wolf come to mind—while my friend’s tweet made me curious about just how much insight and wisdom you can cram into 140 characters. Turns out, it worked great for Jesus, Descartes, Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, Martin Luther King Jr., Fran Lebowitz, and Donald Rumsfeld.
 
A 140-character digest of Western culture:
 
I think, therefore I am. (24)
It’s funny because it’s true. (29)
I am large; I contain multitudes. (33)
Neither a borrower nor a lender be. (35)
Eighty percent of success is showing up. (40)
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. (47)
The vice-presidency isn’t worth a pitcher of warm piss. (55)
Parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell. (58)
It’s not the size of the ship; it’s the motion of the ocean. (60)
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. (68)
Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. (73)
The opposite of talking isn’t listening. The opposite of talking is waiting. (76)
Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. (79)
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. (83)
I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. (113)
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (112)
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. (117)
There is not a Black America and a White America and Latino America and Asian America; there’s the United States of America. (124)
There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. (123)
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you can’t fool all the people all the time. (130)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment