Monday, March 31, 2014

Family Time

It's that time of year in my family. 
 
Time to celebrate the birthdays of my parents who are in their 80's.  My Mom and Dad's birthdays land on the calendar exactly a week apart so in the last few years my siblings and I have started celebrating their birthdays together in the interest of harmony, world peace and all that is holy.
 
 

We know we are blessed to have our parents still with us and we definitely don't take it for granted.  Not for one minute.  But sometimes it can be tricky in making sure that each birthday receives the same amount of attention, if you know what I mean.  The healing part of this family get together is that it's great to have a happy reason to gather and just straight out enjoy ourselves which usually means retelling childhood stories, imitating each other and a lot of jokes.
 
One of the presents that was a huge hit was a box of Ole and Lena fortune cookies that one of my sisters had bought at a Scandinavian store.  I had to Google the names of Ole and Lena because I didn't know who they are or why they are funny but apparently they are the central characters to jokes made by Scandinavian Americans particularly in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the rest of the Upper Midwest region of the US.  The humor is rather folk and really silly.
 
Happy Birthday Mom and Dad and we all wish you many, many more!!
 
Mom &Dad Celebrating Their Birthdays In Party Attire
My brother, Tom, and sister, Theresa
My sister, Sheila, and brother, Tom
 
My sister, Maureen, and me in a selfie

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment